Here is where I take a look at the offerings in Urban Vancouver and issue a proclamation! Is it a ‘deal’ or a ‘dud.’ It is important to make this very real disclosure, I have not necessarily been inside all of these units and my opinions are just that, “opinions.” These units are listed on the multiple listing service and should be toured to make any serious evaluation. I do however have a fair amount of insight into these urban properties and their competition. I have sold and toured scores of units over the years and quite recently as well.
Any unit I call a “dud” should still be toured with a licensed pro, and if you do tour it and think I am off base on my “opinion” please send an email to email@example.com and tell me why I’m wrong 🙂
That said lets look at some of the units currently listed in the MLS and for the record I will not rate any units listed by me personally, those would all be ‘deals’ right 😉
- Shorewood: 1 bed, 1 bath, 907 SF, MLS#21415655 $200,000 DEAL! This is a pretty big unit for a one bedroom and offers some views of the river as well. Shorewood is an aging development but it has aged gracefully with lots of amenities including a large enclosed swimming pool.
- Shorewood: 2 beds, 2.5 baths, 1236 SF, MLS#21130652 $259,000 DEAL! This is a spectacular price for a very spacious unit in Shorewood. Shorewood is an older development but it has held up well and this unit has a covered patio with views of the Columbia River. This should go fast so don’t hesitate. PENDING
- Viewpoint: 2 beds, 2 baths, 1381 SF, MLS#21063623 $870,000 DEAL! This is the second unit in Viewpoint to be listed this year and the first time in more than 3 years that two units have been listed simultaneously. These are hard to comedy. This one holds an advantage over the other listed unit in the building. It is $100,000 less expensive, while being on the 10th floor rather than the 8th and faces Southwest offering generally superior views. It appears to be in excellent condition but seems to have a mostly original interior. Viewpoint is 17 years old. This is a solid value and a similar unit at nearby Kirkland Tower would be nearly $2,000,000 and several floors lower. SOLD!
- Viewpoint: 2 beds, 2.5 baths, 1527 SF, MLS#21625758 $969,900 DUD and DEAL? This unit is kind of both. I know it’s a bit of a cop out, but Viewpoint units do not come available often and even though this unit is only on the 8th floor it has a commanding view over the top of the Parkview tower towards the shiny new waterfront. The unit has been sitting on the market for a while now probably due to its Miami style remodeling inside. I like the decor inside but it is definitely not a Pacific Northwest theme 🙂
- Meriwether: 2 beds, 2.5 baths, 3102 SF, MLS#2109533 1,750,000 DUD, but why? This unit is a bit of an enigma. It has been almost continuously listed now for nearly four years at prices ranging from $2.3 million to $1.7 million. 6 different agents have taken a swing at listing this unit. Meriwether is a very nice building and units in this building can fetch this kind of money, but this particular unit which on the surface should have sold many times over by now. What gives? It is a two story unit with the entrance on the main level. It is spacious and well trimmed. Yet here it sits. One possibility is that there is a little less “security” on the main level facing the river. This building is a secure building with underground garage and electronic walk in gate access, but the patios on the first level facing the river are slightly less secure. But that doesn’t seem like a good reason for this to sit. I think any party interested in a large two level condo with a spectacular view of the river ought to take a look at this unit. Maybe the seller is ready to make a deal!